Friday, July 13, 2007

Thanks

Today's my birthday and I want to thank someone very important to me - Mom. She gave birth to me 38 years ago today and went through all that pain (although she swears it wasn't that bad). She's been through a lot lately with my diagnosis, especially since she works in the oncology field and she knows about cancer. I am grateful for her knowledge, especially in the first weeks when I didn't know what was going on at all. She's talked to the doctors and nurses in depth to make sure I receive the very best care, even threatening to become Shirley MacLaine in "Terms of Endearment" when someone doesn't treat me right. She's helped me negotiate my cancer journey and calmed me when I am afraid. When I'm in the hospital at NIH, she always asks who my nurse is because chances are she either worked with the nurse or possibly trained her. I've met many of her former co-workers because they now work at NIH and each person has told me how wonderful my mom is. Each person also tends to look after me a little better when I'm there because of her. I always feel like a rock star at NIH because of Mom, and for that I am truly appreciative and grateful.

Thanks, Mom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy birthday! Yes the hair is growing back, but just to have one last kick in the butt my eyelashes and eyebrows have thined greatly. I truly look like the cancer poster child. I started radiation a few weeks ago, so far so good I am just tired. I looked forward to looking at your posts. I feel stalker like but it is great to see that you are staying positive. Keep up the good work and this to will come to an end. I see the light! The good light not the one that calle Carol Ann. Take care.
Kim

Anonymous said...

happy birthday to yooooouuuuu, happy birthday to yooooouuuuu, happy birthday HAPPY BIRTHDAY, happy birthday toooooooooooo
yoooooouuuuuuuuuuu!!! (imagine high note here).

Gila