Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Changes

As of yesterday, July 2, my company officially became part of Honeywell. I'm still learning what Honeywell does and from what I gather, we do a lot. My division will still focus on logistics and providing support to the Marines, Army, Navy, and Air Force. We provide support to the troops and I've always been proud of our work because we do make a difference in helping and protecting the troops. I'm anxious to learn more about Honeywell's programs and what they/we do for our troops.

I've been through several acquisitions before with my old company and am glad I haven't been at work in the last month because I know the initial fear when the announcement is made and then the subsequet rumor mill of what will happen because of the acquisition. I've thought about it at home, but I didn't have to live the experience on a daily basis. After talking with Human Resources and my very understanding and kind boss, Pat, I will return to work as a newly minted Honeywell employee on September 4th. I better learn all I can about my new company in the meantime so I will be prepared to talk about how wonderful we are in my future proposals. I miss my coworkers and am looking forward to seeing my group again and catching up with them on their lives while I've been home.

Today, as I was organizing all of my various cancer/lymphoma information, I ran across this statement and wanted to share it with you because I think it will become my new philosophy on life, "Love everyone you can and express that love outwardly. Mend bad relationships, and don't let cancer stop you from reaching out to new ones. Love what you do and don't waste any more time than is necessary doing things you don't love."

I think everyone should reflect on this statement because life is too short to waste. I personally plan to rethink my priorities and only do or say yes to the things I truly love or want to do. I've spent my life doing things that I didn't really want to do, but agreed to do them because I didn't want someone to not like me or I didn't want to cause any problems. I want to spend the rest of my time here on earth loving what I'm doing and not wasting time doing things I don't love. I also want to make sure my family and friends know how much I do love and appreciate them.

Tomorrow is July Fourth and I will be grilling and celebrating. I have a feeling the fireworks are going to be more impressive to me this year than ever before and I can't wait to see them. Usually I'm too busy selling glow necklaces or making funnel cakes with the Jaycees to really watch the fireworks, but this year I'm just going to watch and enjoy them with friends and family. A local real estate agent came by over the weekend and put flags in front of everyone's mailboxes and our neighborhood looks really festive. I really love July (but maybe because my birthday's next Friday!) and am going to enjoy the heck out of this holiday, especially since my next chemo round starts on Friday.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the philosophy! I've kinda been going with a similar concept for a while. Though sometimes I ended up doing those few things that made me crazy.

My friends and family are a big piece of who I am!

Anonymous said...

I hope that you enjoy the fireworks!

As for the philosohy....it is wonderful and so true!

Katie

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...I like the philosophy as well, though I have to admit that I found it hard to stick to it once the immediate danger passed and life was back to normal. On the other hand, the game ain't over yet, and I do find that, over time, I put less time into things I don't enjoy and more time into things I do.

Have a great July 4! I won't be seeing any fireworks, but I did just heat up a burger in the microwave in honor of the great U S of A.

Gila

Anonymous said...

Keep up the positive attitude. Your new viewpoint should help you understand why the JC's are no longer a part of my life (if you didn't know already). I do miss the people a lot however. I hope you had a great 4th. We did!

Claire

Anonymous said...

I know next to nothing about the Jaycees, but a word of caution (?). Doing things you love does not necessarily mean being completely "me" focused. There is nothing that says that you cannot love giving up some of your free time to volunteer and help others, even if that means missing out on a firework or two and even if it means sometimes putting up with the beaurocracy and annoyances of dealing with an organization.

While I cannot say that I only do things I love and never do things I do not love, I can say that I have learned to make a more concerted effort to discover what those lovable things are as opposed to letting others define that for me or as opposed to kind of drifting through life without even trying to direct my energies in constructive ways.

Gila

Anonymous said...

dude that philosophy is soooo crazy! love and relationships?! giiiirrrrlll that chemo must be going straight to your head. :-)

next fourth of july we'll be celebrate'n your independence from Pricilla!

hope all is well in your world and best of luck in the next round!

MORE ELEPHANT THONG!

victory4angela said...

I'm not giving up the Jaycees! They're part of my life and how I met Mike! However, I won't do a Jaycee project that I don't completely love doing. I admit, I enjoy standing out in the freezing rain making funnel cakes because I'm hanging out with friends having fun. I prefer no rain or cold, but that stuff just makes you stronger! In fact, I better see my fellow Jaycees at Germantown Oktoberfest this year because I WILL be there working that day, especially since I'm co-chairing one of the projects. I may have cancer, but I can still chair a project!