Friday, July 27, 2007

I Can See the Finish Line!

We woke up around 6am to get ready for NIH. I haven't been up that early in a while and it was very hard to get moving. I think even Riley thought it was too early because we've been sleeping until 8:30, but he managed to get up with a little complaining. I took my little ativan anti-anxiety pill in the car on the way to ease my nerves of the upcoming procedure. By the time we arrived, I could feel it start to kick in a little. Mike stopped for coffee in the lobby and I was dying for something to eat, especially since I couldn't have any food until later. Mike convinced me to get something and so I purchased a chocolate croissant. We ran into Steve, my old EPOCH buddy, in special procedures. He's on in his last round too and we chatted for a while. I think my ativan kicked in really good while we chatted because Mike noticed I was really chatty! It's times like these that I become my Mom! Steve went back first and I had some problem where they didn't know if I was on contact isolation or why I would be on contact isolation and I've been through this issue before (usually stems from my problems with "the skitters"), but I didn't think I was on contact isolation today.

I finally got back to the "spaceship" room where they put my IJ line in. I always feel like I'm on a messier version of a Buck Rogers set or I'm in the Millennium Falcon because the room is filled with lights and things move up and down around me. It's a really cool room, even though there's medical equipment all over the place, which is why it looks cluttered and cool at the same time. I took a .5 mg of ativan just before my procedure so I felt NO pain. Unfortunately, my blood pressure was low so they had to start an IV of saline fluids. I was very happy with their IV tech and the ativan probably also set my mind at ease.

When I was done, they wheeled me out of the room and we waited for someone to wheel me to the day hospital where I would receive my first dose of chemo colada. I was starving and ate my chocolate croissant on the way upstairs. This was a very good idea because I ordered breakfast from my chair in the day hospital, took my benadryl, tylenol, and other medicines, and promptly passed out asleep. I woke up several hours later because I had to use the restroom and because I was hungry. I ate my breakfast and fell right back asleep. Mike woke me up at 2pm and told me it was time to go home and I didn't believe him - I wanted to go back to sleep! I hadn't even changed out of the hospital gown from my surgery and had to change back into my regular clothes before we could leave. I barely remember the ride home and soon as we got home, I went back to sleep on the sofa for several hours. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I did manage to make it to a Jaycee "happy hour" tonight at a new restaurant in town, but Melissa drove. I had a very good pasta farfalle with chicken, red and green peppers, and artichoke hearts. I was trying to get my lean protein and veggies in to today's diet. I was a little bad and had caffeinated ice tea, but it was soooo good.

Let's see what excitement tomorrow brings. The prednionse should give me a very good appetite and some extra energy. I forgot to mention in yesterday's post that my weight is up to 128.8 pounds. Yay!!! I think it was 127 when I left the hospital so I'm gaining a little bit at a time. Double yay!! There may be a time when I don't post my weight at all, and all I'll tell you is that I'm back to normal. ;-)

1 comment:

Blair said...

Have you started choregraphing
your end zone victory dance yet?

We're all looking forward to watching it!