Thursday, December 20, 2007

Run, Run Rudolph

Mike has decided to do a triathlon in 2008 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) through their Team in Training (TNT) program. You read that correctly: he'll be consecutively swimming 1.5k, biking 40k, and running 10k. I am both immensely proud of him and awed by his decision because he is pushing himself really hard to help cancer patients like me. TNT offers several marathons and triathlons a year and he'll be competing in the Capital of Texas Triathlon in Austin, TX on May 25, 2008. This triathlon is a fundraiser for the LLS and he needs to raise $4,200 to participate, which is not easy but we're going to fund raise like crazy to get the money. Mike is using TNTs trainers to prepare him for the event and he's off right now swimming and when he gets home, he's going to bike in our living room on the bike trainer we purchased last week. Check out his blog (listed to the right) to learn about his training efforts for this event. He also has a link to his donation page if you are so inclined to make a donation. :)

We are heading to Austin tomorrow for Christmas. We're staying with my mother-in-law, Gail but are also visiting my cousin Gina and her family. Mike's brother, Brian is coming from Miami for the holidays. My cousin Hunter lives just outside of Austin so I'm hoping to catch up with him at the Salt Lick, a really cool BBQ place with all-you-can-eat meat! We went with Gail last summer and had a great time. I will also get to visit my Grandma, Uncle Robert, Aunt Kathy, and possibly my cousin Heston in San Antonio since it's only an hour from Austin. I will certainly be a traveling fool next week, but I'm really looking forward to spending time with Mike's family and mine.

I wonder what my Grandma will say about my short hair? She doesn't know I had cancer because she has Alzheimer's and we thought it best not to tell her and stress her out about it. I may just tell her I decided to cut my hair really short, if she even recognizes me at all. I saw her last summer and she recognized me, but she is forgetful and she may not remember me anymore. I will be sad if it happens.

I had blood work yesterday after my two GCF shots and I'm not neutropenic - hallelujah! I need to go back after my trip to make sure my white counts are stabilized, but I don't need to bring my two vials of GCF to Texas with me. I also feel a lot better about traveling, although I will wear a mask on the plane so I don't get sick. I'm not looking forward to wearing it for four hours, but I'd rather not put myself at risk.

Have a Merry Christmas, everyone. I'll try to post my adventures in Texas.

1 comment:

Gila said...

Hi! Have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year. I will be proud to sponsor Mike, but in a month or two (am a bit short this month).

Glad to hear that you are continuing to recover. BTW, I resurrected my blog and linked to you. And I gave your blog info to a friend who has a friend with cancer--hopefully they will find it as inspiring and helpful as I did.

Gila