Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Check out those pearly whites

I'd been noticing that my teeth were discolored and yellowish looking and I thought it was yet another chemo side effect that I was going to have to deal with at some point. I didn't know if I could make it go away or not. I saw the dentist today and she took one look and thought she could scrape it away. Lo and behold, she did! I've never been so happy to see my dentist.

I grabbed dinner with a friend before her volleyball game with Mike. Theresa's mom had breast cancer some time ago and I've met her mom on several occasions. Her mom's having some health problems recently and found a lump in her other breast, in her throat, and in her liver. Theresa's understandably worried and stressed so I wanted to have dinner just to see how she's doing. Theresa asked if I had joined a support group, which I haven't done yet. I met someone who belongs to a breast cancer support group and invited me to join them on their next dinner outing. I asked if it mattered that I didn't have breast cancer, and it doesn't so I may join them. I invited Theresa and her mom to come too. Theresa should also look for a caregivers support group and I'll check through some of my resources to see if I can find her something.

Hearing all of these cancer stories makes me sad. I feel so helpless and I wish there was something I could actually do. For now I will listen to their stories and offer as much comfort as I possibly can. I wish I could do more.

No comments: