Thursday, September 20, 2007

Say a Little Prayer

I am requesting your prayers and hopes for someone you probably don't know - Christopher Hodorvich. He is a friend's brother and he has stage IIIC colon cancer and he's already gone through one round of chemo, but a CT scan in August revealed that his cancer was growing. Tuesday's PET scan showed that the cancer has spread and is not operable at this point. He'll begin another round of chemo on Oct. 2nd. His oncologist stated that the chemo will not cure the cancer, but the hope is to shrink the cancer to where they may be able to remove it through surgery. He feels that Christopher's ability to be a candidate for surgery is a long shot, but miracles can happen. Christopher's sister, Jen, sent out an email to all the Jaycees today asking for our prayers and asking us to add her brother to our churches' prayer lists. I thought I'd extend the request out to my blog readers. Think of Jen too because she's going through a lot and this has got to be hard.

I am working on building up my strength by working out with my personal trainer twice a week and going back to my water aerobics class. I really struggle with balancing, jumping, and running. Tom, my trainer, had me jump two-footed over 6 inch hurdles yesterday and I really struggled with it. I used to be able to jump over 24 inch hurdles (and was quite proud of this), but my vertical leap definitely suffered. I can't quite explain it, but my brain really struggled with getting my lower body to cooperate and jump over the hurdles. It was really strange.

My water aerobics classmates greeted me enthusiasticaly on Tuesday with cheers and applause. I was really touched and teared up a bit when I saw them. I haven't seen any of them since the end of March and the last time I was in class, I was really winded. I did pretty good and kept up, when I wasn't too busy chatting with everyone. Next week will be time to get serious! I wore my swim cap because I'm too self-conscious about my bald head out in public. I wear my bandanna with no problem, but I can't bring myself to be without something on my head. I'm just so glad to be back at the pool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Water aerobics sounds like an awesome idea for getting back in synch with your body. I know so many people who love it for the low impact workout. And if you lose your balance, you can just throw your hands over your head as you go and make it look like one of those cool Esther Williams moves.

Julie B.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you are getting back into your activities. I had eye surgery last week and am not allowed to work out and am going a bit nuts. Of course, even walking wears me out now--my brain is having a major problem dealing with the wildly different information being provided by each of my eyes.

Okay--yes, I realize that this is not nearly as bad as your situation. But I am grumpy and headachey (courtesy of the gimpy eye) and a bit whiny.

Have a great day!

Gila