Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Training for a 5K

My knee is finally better! I've walked 16 laps around the floor today, which is a vast improvement over any day this week when the most laps I did was three total. I've also kicked the walker to the curb and am able to just hang on to my IV pole. I keep joking with the staff that I'm training for a 5k.

My morning was a little trying. Since I had the fevers a couple of times yesterday, I had sweated a lot in my bed and I smelled funky. But to take a shower, the nurse has to unhook me from the IV pole and wrap my PICC in plastic (press-n-seal saran wrap works best from what I hear). Unfortunately, my PICC line had done some funky twist in my chest and they weren't able to use it until it got fixed so I got stuck with an IV yesterday. Because the PICC line was compromised, I spent the morning waiting for the IV team to come by to fix it. After "power flushing" my line with a bunch of heparin, they realized it would just have to come out and be replaced. Not a bad process, but not fun either. I managed to get through it without any sedative. It's not painful (the numbing part hurts more). After they re-did the PICC (from my hospital bed, BTW) I had to wait to be transported for a chest x-ray to make sure they fixed it. After a while, I finally got down to the x-ray area and waited for the actual x-ray. By the time I got back upstairs to my room, it was nearly 11am.

I was still waiting for my shower. I had asked the nurse much earlier that morning if she could get me ready for the shower. A tech came in and wrapped up my PICC, but she wasn't allowed to unhook the IV so we had to wait for the nurse. I had my saran-wrap arm wrapped for two hours by then and was eager to get my shower. I knew the chemo was supposed to start at noon so I had a very small window to get my shower in, but I knew I could do it. Unfortunately, the nurse didn't come into my room until 11:50 so she started the chemo and I waited another hour. The good news was that my PICC was fixed so they could use it again (which means tomorrow morning's blood draw should be a LOT easier). I finished that chemo and they had to flush the line and do some other things, but I finally got unhooked from the IV and into the SHOWER!! Hallelujah! The angels sang and the stench lifted! Since I still have my hair for now it felt great to wash it.

I just did the math on my baldness (typically +16 days after chemo), I should be bald by Halloween. Paint me orange and put a tiny green "stem" hat on me and call me the Great Pumpkin! I could have some fun with this. :)


Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are going better. I'm looking forward to the Great Pumpkin photo. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Contain beads, laces, pebbles, as well as other attractive things and also generate your own personal type! replica cartier Thus don’t you cherish to be able to endure out from the masses? Dash! Obtain gorgeous totes on the web straight away and also present your thing to be able to other folks! replica chanel There are many concerns in terms of vogue garments of which sit on this kind of intellects away from females of most age groups in this particular earth- what precisely what exactly is spend money on designed for peaceful as well as appropriate have got about, what precisely what exactly is have got about possessing skirts and/or trousers, replica burberry handbags which usually type linked with vogue garments will likely cater to our bodies and also shape proportions, replica watches uk take into account many of the most existing motions as well as no matter whether to have momentary modern day clothes or even not really, rolex replica what precisely others will likely envision in plain english have got over a special clothes numerous just like kinds of concerns?